Jason and I have been attending Napier Baptist Church in Dothan, where Jay's dad, Jim, is the pastor while we have been here. The church is in the middle of old Air Force (I believe) housing. We've been there a couple of times and while there is evidence of little kids living in the neighborhood, I have yet to see anyone outside. The church is within walking distance of almost every single home and yet, church attendance is only about 3 people. Apparently, the church has been like this for quite a while. This past Sunday, a family attended that I had not met and the father mentioned that he hoped Napier would fill up like it used to. It made me wonder how a church that used to be full on Sunday morning could, in a few short years, be empty. How discouraging it must be for a pastor to continue to pastor a church with only a few members and how hard it must be on the few members that do come to church.
With that aside, Jay and I met two members that are just an absolute riot. They are well into their 60s or 70s. They are absolutely hilarious. Paul and his wife are just a joy to be around. I love old people. Paul's wife - I have to learn to spell her name - loves our son. She has held him for two services and Luke behaves better for her than if Jay and I were holding him. It makes me so happy to see her face light up and enjoy our son as much as we do. Paul loves anything with blueberries, so for tonight's services, we made some blueberry muffins - as well as, strawberry cheesecake muffins (Jay's favorite) and cinnamon muffins. My only prayer is that more than 3 members will be able to enjoy them.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment